CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 26, 2006

Watchmen gets...yet another Director on board...

After many failed attempts to start this comic-adaptation...


Zach Snyder is set to develop and direct the DC comic graphic novel, Watchmen for Warner Bros. Pictures.

The series was created by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons set in 1985 in an alternative history United States where costumed adventurers are real and the country is edging closer to a nuclear war with the Soviet Union. Watchmen tells the story of the last remaining superheroes and the events surrounding the mysterious murder of one of their own.

After many attempts at a start of previous production, Warner is not releasing a production schedule for Watchmen.


Apparently, happy with the job Snyder did with the Montreal shot 300, another Frank Miller adaptation following the likes of Sin City, Warner has decided to add Snyder to the list of directors that at some point have tried to get this movie running. They've also hired Alex Tse to pen the feature. Not confirmed is whether this is a rewrite of the David Hayter attempt or not.
Rumors have come and gone. Paul Greengrass was the last director on board...but the project fell through.

Long ago, Terry Gilliam was brought onto the project but Joel Silver failed to raise proper finance for the film. Also, while interviewing Alan Moore, Gilliam asked him what he thought would be the best way to make the film come to life. The response?

Moore; "Don't".

I personally don't see how anyone could make this movie a viable adaptation. The comic was so outrageously great but so distinctly outta this world. It's not like Batman, or Sin City or even Superman. The things the comic takes for granted, that the reader easily gives in to, is not something the movie going public will likely be willing to. I fear, this project will yet again stall, for good or ill. And even if it does get made...I don't see it being one of the successes of comic adaptation. Moore was right.

6 comments:

Patrick J. Rodio said...

It'll be interesting to see if it does get made. I am curious about 300, I liked what Zach did with Dawn Of the Dead.

Sal said...

Thanks for the visit! Your comicbook project sounds cool, I hope it goes well. As for Scanner Darkly, the answer is yes, more than one PKD story works on screen - I saw it in Cannes, and now can't wait to see it again.

And now I must stop procrastinating via the blog-world, and get on with doing some work.

MaryAn Batchellor said...

Well, it's unlikely, but not impossible.

Anonymous said...

Hi ya,

Sorry I missed replying to you on the chat thing earlier this evening, I was off reading this blog, when I got back to the conversation, you'd gone!

I totally agree with you though, I think Watchmen is going to be a very difficult movie to make, though I soooo want it to happen.

It'll be interesting to see what transpires.

Andy

Patrick J. Rodio said...

I like Snyder, so hopefully he can do something good with this.

Anonymous said...

Dude, just when I bookmarked your page, you stopped posting.